December 04, 2010

Nonapologies, Whatever Edition

I'm guessing you're aware of the concept of the nonapology, the thing that is phrased as an apology, often even contain the words "I'm sorry," and expresses an utter lack of responsibility for any actions. "I'm sorry if you were offended." "I'm sorry you feel that way about it." I heard a new one today.

"I'm sorry for whatever happened between us."

Really? You're sorry for...whatever? You don't know what happened because, frankly, I haven't bothered to tell you, but you're sorry?

No, I don't think so. If you were sorry about what happened between us, you'd at least want to know what part you played in it. What you're sorry about is my reaction only. You're sorry I don't want to hang out. Sorry I don't want to talk. Not sorry enough to find out why. Not sorry enough to find out whether it's fixable. Just kind of...well...sorry.

Tells the whole story, really.

No comments: