August 16, 2010

Promoting and Learning from Diversity

I'm a bit quiet, I know. I'm spending a lot of time thinking about a couple of big things that will probably never see text. If you're having trouble keeping busy, and even if you're not, I recommend the following couple of videos from this year's Secular Student Alliance conference.

The first is Debbie Goddard, whom I mentioned I wanted to hear more from after Skepchickcon. Here I got to hear more. Debbie talks about diversity in the campus freethought movement: how much there is, when and why it's important, and how (specifically) to increase it.



The other is a presentation by Greta Christina that I've been looking forward to seeing: What Atheism Can Learn from the LGBT Movement. Greta watched painful learning take place in one movement. She's determined to offer the secular movement the opportunity to learn at less of a cost. Let's take her up on that.

No comments: