January 15, 2009

That Kind of Weather

This is the kind of weather:

  • Where you walk outside, breathe in and immediately cough, because your lungs are smarter than you are.
  • Where your eyelashes freeze together, or to your scarf if they're that long.
  • Where you instantly detect the smallest shift in wind direction.
  • Where you get brain freeze--from the outside.
  • Where your cheeks get chafed by the frost on the inside of your scarf.
  • Where your nose doesn't even run until you get back inside.

For me, this is the kind of weather where I want to get on a plane and go some place warmer for just a few days. Today, right about now, in fact (I hope), that's what I'm doing.

I'm headed off to North Carolina for ScienceOnline09 and to experience the region's idea of cold. I hear it will be below freezing at night. I'm positively bouncing with the excitement of meeting everyone, but I'm trying to do it very carefully.

I wouldn't want to slip on the ice and have to stay home.

3 comments:

JLK said...

I'll be thinkin' of ya, Stephanie, when I leave for Mexico a week from friday!

But lest you think I'm a spoiled brat who gets to do stuff like that, I would like to note that this is the first time I will be leaving the frigid, horrible winter climate of New England for a warmer destination.

My only other warm-climate venture was to Maui for my honeymoon. And I went in June. lol

Stephanie Zvan said...

You mean you're not a spoiled brat? ;)

I think Maui in June sounds lovely. I love travelling in the off season, at least as long as the weather at my destination doesn't suck.

Have a great time in Mexico!

JLK said...

"You mean you're not a spoiled brat? ;)"

Okay......maybe a little. ;)